Friday, June 7, 2013

Besan Cheela (crepes) with a twist


My dad was transferred to New Delhi when I was 7-8 yrs old. My mom started making quite a few new  recipes while we were there. Besan cheela was one of them. Ohh, I remember how crazy my sister and I were about cheela. It was and still is, one of our all-time favorite breakfast dishes.
Recently my mom suggested another innovation to it. I tried it, and it turned out to be great.

Add egg to the batter !! Curious? Read on for the detailed recipe.

Enjoy !

What do I need ??

1 cup Besan or Gram flour
1 big egg
2-3 Garlic cloves
1 teaspoon Red chilly powder
1-2 finely chopped Green chillies
1 tablespoon finely chopped coriander
Salt to taste
Oil

What are the steps ??

1. Mix all the ingredients except oil, to make a thin batter. Mix well so that there are no lumps  and the batter is very smooth.
2. Heat up a non-stick tawa or a heavy bottom frying pan. Spread a little oil in the center and spread some of the batter on it just like a dosa or a crepe. Cover it with a lid.
3. Take off the lid after 3-4 minutes and flip the cheela.
4. Cook for a few more minutes. Cook it longer if you like it crispy.

Cheela is ready. Serve with ketchup or a green pudina chutney !!

Any tips ??

* Mix a tablespoon of rice flour if you like the cheela crispy.
* You can replace half the quantity of besan with whole wheat flour, to make this a complete meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment